November 15, 2016
Save the date for January 2017 release of Morning Star Horse. This book will be published in two versions for English and bilingual Spanish.
October 15, 2016
The Spanish Scholastic Book Club edition of Drum Dream Girl, is now available. A Scholastic Book Club edition of The Sky Painter is pending publication.
Vamos a Leer created a bilingual teaching guide for the dual language edition of The Surrender Tree/El árbol de la Rendición that can be used for teachers/classroom.
Margarita has been appointed to the Advisory Board of Anansesem, the Journal of Caribbean Children’s Literature.
September 23, 2016
New curriculum guide for Lion Island, can be downloaded for teachers/classroom use.
September 3, 2016
Official cover for Margarita's new picture, All The Way to Havana, to be published in August 2017. Click on the image for close-up view.
July 8, 2016
Lion Island received a wonderful review from Booklist. Read it here.
June 28, 2016
Margarita has been selected as one of the Juror for the 2017 NSK Neustadt Prize for Children's Literature (World Literature Today).
June 1, 2016
Lion Island is a School Library Journal's June 2016 Starred Review.
April 25, 2016
The Lightning Dreamer is honored as one of the books in the 20 Years of Día Booklist, to celebrate the 20th anniversary of Día.
Drum Dream Girl and Silver People are also honored as one of the books in the Building STEAM with Día 2016 Booklist, that identify promising resources to supplement (S)cience, (T)echnology, (E)ngineering, the (A)rts, and (M)ath programming while reflecting a variety of cultures and languages.
Margarita will be serving as Juror for the 2017 NSK Neustadt Prize, the Judge for YARN's Young Adult Enchanted Places and Spaces Poetry Contest, and the first We Need Diverse Books Middle Grade mentor.
April 10, 2016
Margarita was at the Charlotte Zolotow Award ceremony on April, at University of Wisconsin, in Madison.
Margarita was a speaker at the Virginia Hamilton Conference on April 7-8, at Kent State University, in Ohio
March 19, 2016
Margarita was at the Walter Award ceremony on March 18, at the Library of Congress in Washington, D.C.
March 17, 2016
Enchanted Air won the Golden Kite Award for non-fiction books.
This award will be presented at the SCBWI conference in Los Angeles on July 29-31.
March 4, 2016
Foreign language translations for Drum Dream Girl will be comin soon in Chinese (CITIC Press) and Spanish (Scholastic Book Club edition).
Dreamscape Audio/Video of Drum Dream Girl is available for classroom use.
January 26, 2016
Awards and Honors:
- Enchanted Air won the 2016 Pura Belpré Award for text. It will be presented at ALA in Orlando on June 26, 1-4 PM, during the 20th Anniversary Pura Belpré Celebración.
- Enchanted Air was selected as YALSA Excellence in Nonfiction Finalist
- Enchanted Air won a Walter Award Honor from We Need Diverse Books. It will be presented at the Library of Congress on March 18.
- Drum Dream Girl won the Pura Belpré Award for illustration. Congratulations to Rafael López!
- Drum Dream Girl won the Charlotte Zolotow Award for best picture book writing of 2015. It will be presented at the University of Madison, Wisconsin, on April 9.
- Drum Dream Girl was selected as Asian Pacific American Library Association Children's Book Awards Honor
- Drum Dream Girl is an Amelia Bloomer Top 10 of 2016
- Drum Dream Girl is a 2016 Notable Book for a Global Society, International Literacy Association
November 8, 2015
Recent wonderful reviews for Enchanted Air:
October 30, 2015
Enchanted Air has been given the 2015 Eureka! Gold Awards book by the California Reading Association.
October 26, 2015
Margarita contributed on a blog article at Latin@s in Kid Lit, on About that Embargo.
The 2015 Cybils Award nominees includes four of Margarita's books, Enchanted Air, Drum Dream Girl, The Sky Painter, and Orangutanka.
October 4, 2015
The Kindle edition of The Sky Painter is included in the Pizza Hut BOOK IT! program. It is a reading program set up by teachers in classrooms to motivate children to read by rewarding their reading accomplishments with praise, recognition and pizza.